In this post, I review and strongly recommend Lesley Fightmaster's yoga channel, my go-to class for a little over a year.
Although I have full control over most part of my schedule, it is still erratic. Sometimes, I can practice at 6am and kickstart my day, but I also have days when I can only manage to do a fifteen minute session late at night. This is why YouTube has worked out really well for me*. It is important to choose an instructor who starts out with gentle moves and slowly transitions into intermediate poses. Lesley Fightmaster of Fightmaster Yoga is my favorite for this reason. Her soothing classes are holistic and rewarding. In addition to her calming voice, an uplifting tone, and the empowering quotes she shares, here are a few more reasons you need to try Fightmaster Yoga’s YouTube classes:
• Mental and spiritual focus: In the last 5 years, there has been an influx of hot yoga, Bikram yoga and other variants that focus on working up a sweat. Traditional, authentic yoga is about balance, spirituality and overall well-being. Lesley Fightmaster started yoga as a recovering alcoholic since 1994, as a way to find deeper spiritual connection. Her personal experiences allow her to incorporate chakra flow, meditation, and restorative poses into her classes and videos, which makes it mentally energizing.
• Yoga for every level: Fightmaster Yoga is home to Yoga Fix 90, a 90-day program that was created with the aim of inspiring people to practice a healthy yoga habit everyday. Although I did in-person Yoga classes, it helped immensely to have a structured and guided program like the Yoga Fix 90. The channel also features multiple playlists that range from Beginner to Intermediate Yoga, HIIT and Cardio Yoga.
• Goal-based yoga: Based on your goals, you can choose between a variety of routines such as prenatal yoga, yoga for backaches and headaches, to improve flexibility and stretching and guided meditation yoga for peace and relaxation. I love the total body workouts, and strength and core Yoga routines.
• Convenient to schedule: There are “quickie” yoga sessions that last up to 15 minutes, Vinyasa and Hatha yoga sessions for about 30 minutes, as well as longer sessions anywhere between 45 minutes and 1 hour (or more). Depending on how much time your schedule allows you to squeeze in, there are a wide range of options to choose from.
• Tutorials for specific moves: For most beginners, the “tutorials” playlist is a great place to become familiar with commonly used yoga terms and poses like Chaturanga (the yoga push-up), Surya Namaskara (sun salutation), and master headstands, handstands and other challenging poses that Lesley give step-by-step instructions for.
*I practiced yoga in a traditional class setting before I started practicing it through YouTube. I strongly recommend that you do too, for safety reasons.
Lesley Fightmaster resides in Orange County, CA, and teaches locally, conducts several yoga retreats throughout the year. While most of her YouTube classes are free, she also has several paid classes that are helpful for people who do not attend face-to-face yoga courses with a teacher. You can check her website here for more information.
This section will not be visible in live published website. Below are your current settings:
Current Number Of Columns are = 2
Expand Posts Area =
Gap/Space Between Posts = 10px
Blog Post Style = card
Use of custom card colors instead of default colors = 1
Blog Post Card Background Color = current color
Blog Post Card Shadow Color = current color
Blog Post Card Border Color = current color
Publish the website and visit your blog page to see the results
Miraya originated as a concept magazine for a Publishing class, but much of it now exists online and has been adapted for this blog. The core remains intact, and that is to explore the changing landscape of contemporary Indian fashion through the international lens, engaging readers in a creative juxtaposition between tradition and modernity. It is spearheaded by the Founder and Creative Director, Namrata Loka.
Namrata R. Loka
Founder & Creative Director