After trying out Birchbox, Ipsy, and Sephora for 5 months, Play! by Sephora emerged as our subscription box winner! Featuring my favorite products so far especially for a workday.
I'm always on-the-go, so I need makeup that is fuss-free, appropriate for school, work, and business meetings, and the kind that will last all day. Here's a rundown of Play samples that were quick to become a part of my everyday makeup routine:
1. Sephora Contour Eye Pencil: This waterproof eye pencil is meant for the outer contour of the eyes, and I'm absolutely hooked. The sample I got was #33, Love Affair, a gorgeous plum. Black eyeliner is not my area of expertise and this crayon helps me avoid a case of Panda eyes. It smudges on my lower lashes just a little, lending a smokey eye effect (no need eye shadow!). It's categorized under "shimmer finish", and I love the sheen it adds to my eyes.
Did/ would I buy a full size: I got two more colors in full sizes - #14 Cocoa is a Chocolate Brown and #19 Go For a Ride is dark green, both in a shimmer finish
2. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer: I use the Bare Minerals Matte powder foundation in Golden Medium (no liquid foundation for me), and that coupled with my combination skin makes this Smashbox primer a total gem. It is translucent and feels greasy but once I put it on, it creates a velvety smooth canvas. I have used my foundation without primer at times, and I can tell what a big difference it makes. Perfect for days when I need to look fresh-faced for more than 10 hours; and of course, it makes you photograph like a darling.
Did/ would I buy a full size: Yes
3. Benefit Dew the Hoola Soft Matte Liquid: I use this bronzer over my foundation (just the essentials like cheekbones and brow-bones if I feel like it), and it gives me a very subtle, dewy glow. It is a great product for a "no make up" makeup look, and it also evens the skin quite a bit. I have still not warmed up to the Beauty Blender, so I use my regular blush brush to apply this liquid magic.
Did/ would I buy a full size: Probably after I get a Beauty Blender
4. Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm: I spent months sampling eye creams and looking for the one, and the timing of this made it a blessing. I was jet-lagged after my trip to India this August, and my eyes gave away the sleeplessness and fatigue. I've been religiously using this balm twice a day, and even those who see me everyday have noticed a difference. It's definitely worth a try if you struggle with puffy eyes or dark circles. I saw a $25 value set with a deluxe sample of this Eye Renewal Balm (and another product) in-store near the counter. I found it a little dense for my combination skin.
Did/ would I buy a full size: Not yet, I want to sample the Origins Ginzing Refreshing Eye Cream first
5. Kat Von D Tattoo Liner: I got this in Satin Black in the Play box, and on the rare days that I decide to do a cat-eye or wing it, the felt tip makes this eyeliner a godsend. I've always been shaky with eyeliner, so I love that this goes in a straight line, and is really light, too. It lasts all day without smudging.
Did/ would I buy a full size: Definitely!
As a makeup newbie, I eased into makeup products with Sephora Play, mainly because of the Play Date feature where subscribers get to meet with Sephora experts, and learn how to use all these amazing products. I loved that neither my skin nor my hair were allergic or sensitive to any of the Sephora products so far! Also, it is a steal for $10, because my samples last at least a month. I hope you found that useful! Let me know if you sample or buy any of these products. You can subscribe to Play by Sephora by clicking here - each box comes with 5 deluxe samples and a fragrance sample. I just received my October Play box, and I can't wait to sample and review it!
Next week, we're going to talk about why mornings are glorified when it comes to productivity, and how to become a morning person!
Happy Diwali, and Halloween, and have a great weekend!
This section will not be visible in live published website. Below are your current settings:
Current Number Of Columns are = 2
Expand Posts Area =
Gap/Space Between Posts = 10px
Blog Post Style = card
Use of custom card colors instead of default colors = 1
Blog Post Card Background Color = current color
Blog Post Card Shadow Color = current color
Blog Post Card Border Color = current color
Publish the website and visit your blog page to see the results
Miraya originated as a concept magazine for a Publishing class, but much of it now exists online and has been adapted for this blog. The core remains intact, and that is to explore the changing landscape of contemporary Indian fashion through the international lens, engaging readers in a creative juxtaposition between tradition and modernity. Spearheaded by Founder and Creative Director, Namrata Loka.
Click here to read about me.